Renovation tips to give your home a facelift
You don’t need to spend a lot to make a big difference to your home with these cost and time saving renovation tips.
A few small changes can increase the potential resale value of your property and give you a fresh new perspective.
Here are some affordable renovation tips to consider when you’re renovating your home.
Before you start out do your research. There are plenty of Home Renovation magazines to read, homemaker centres and display homes to visit and shows like The Living Room and The Block to help you get ideas.
Renovation tips – Bathroom
- Keep classic trends in mind, such as a large mirror or freestanding bath
- Create the illusion of more space with a glass walk-in shower
- Paint or spray over existing tiles, to save buying new ones. They can add a hardwearing finish that lasts up to 15 years
- Try to work within the existing layout to avoid expensive plumbing changes
- Choose classic flooring and fixtures that are durable and well sealed
- Consider placing some pot plants near the window or a stylish bench near the shower area.
Renovation tips – Kitchen
- Consider how you normally use your kitchen and design the storage and workspace around that. For example, create space for saucepans near the oven and plates within reach of the serving area
- Think about the overall “flow” of the space. Make sure there is plenty of room to move around benches, ovens and other areas especially if you like to cook.
- Consider the height of cupboards, microwaves and drawers, making sure they don’t open into each other or cut off access to other parts of the room
- Think about how you’ll keep appliances, fixtures and countertops clean. Matte finishes don’t show dirt and fingerprints as much as glossy ones do.
Renovation tips – Living and dining room
- Painting is an easy and affordable way to brighten and modernise a room—choose neutral colours and stick to no more than two colours per room
- Add a new atmosphere to your home with accessories like rugs, lamps, curtains, artwork and cushions
- Make sure you have enough storage and seating for your family in your renovation plans—it can reduce clutter and give you space to display things that are important to you
- Consider the placement of furniture and measure everything to make sure doorways and pathways aren’t restricted or overcrowded
- Use consistency across colours and styles to create a more open and inviting space across several rooms.
Renovation tips – Outdoor Areas
Clean and paint concrete driveways, paths, fences or gates and use an outdoor paint or sealant for a nice, glossy finish. Find a colour that suits the style and era of your home and fits in with other houses in the street
Even the smallest gardens or balconies can benefit from a burst of colour and fragrance. Tidy up the garden to give the illusion of more space or consider redesigning the garden to make it drought resistant and easy to maintain
Consider renovating entertaining areas, including BBQ and outdoor furniture, especially if you’re looking to sell.
Talk to a Fix or Flip Renovation Finance Specialist today to find out how we can help you renovate your home.